Friday, June 17, 2011

Happy Father's Day


This song came out last fall.  The week my first granddaughter was born. 

The two grandmothers showing me our latest grandson, Sam.

Bailey meets his new son


Now for something on the lighter side of fatherhood


Lament of a Stud Dog

My job is making puppies, and I get two tries at that.



They pat me on the head and say ‘good boy’ – and that, is that.
Its half my job to give ‘em teeth and top lines,

fronts and other,
remember it’s only half my job, they also have a mother.



It’s NOT my job to carry pups and make ‘em grow
 and nurse ‘em, and feed and clean and make ‘em strong, that’s for the mother and her person.


It’s not my job to wean - and feed the calcium and food,
and stack and gait and housebreak, and make ‘em showing brood.
It’s NOT my job, to plan the breeding and learn what produces well,

to study pedigrees, learn what’s there and pick out what to sell.



It’s NOT my job to guarantee champs,
 - the breeder picks the pair.
To mate, and whelp, and feed, and show,
 and HOPE the champ is there.


It’s NOT my job to be on hand, when points are given out,

the breeder, owner, dam and friends take credit, with a shout.


It’s NOT my job to deliver a win, it’s only genes I sell.


But, let the puppies turn out BAD,
and guess who catches HELL!!




Happy Father's Day to all you fathers

1 comment:

Happy walker said...

Happy Father's Day !!! Have a Nice Day !!! Best Regards from Mr Lonely at http://www.lonelyreload.com .. do visits my blog when free.. XD