Saturday, June 4, 2011

Dog's stomach, food and Salmonella

Last week, during a walk with a fellow Vizsla owner, the subject of raw foods and salmonella came up.

  I told him I feed Bailey and Chloe raw turkey wings for teeth cleaning from time to time.
http://redbirddog.blogspot.com/2011/02/vizsla-tooth-brush-raw-turkey-wing.html

 He said he'd be afraid to feed raw because of Salmonella posioning.  I told him I had heard that dogs were very rarely infected with Salmonella poisoning, but didn't know why.   He did tell me that a dog's stomach pH was much more acidic than ours.  I thought that was interesting, as I had never heard about that.



 So I looked into it.

Low pH


"Normally a dogs stomach pH is very acidic - at a pH of 1 to 2.


 Foods, like dry dog foods, that are high in carbohydrates shift the stomach pH to a more neutral environment (close to pH of 6).


 A raw diet is very low in carbohydrates (only provided by fruits and vegetables) and allows the stomach to stay within the optimal pH range (closer to a pH of 3).


 This is more easily illustrated in the figure below. Both diets were tested using a solution of hydrochloric acid at a pH equal to that of a dog's stomach and compared for the changes that occurred during digestion.




Figure 1. The pH change seen during digestion of raw and dry dog food.

Reduced Survival of Bacteria


Most bacteria, such as Salmonella and E.coli., cannot survive at a pH lower than 4 and optimally require a pH range of 5-7 to grow. Since raw food allows the stomach to stay within its naturally acidic pH range the bacteria are killed before they reach the small intestine......."


The whole article can be found at:

Mountain Dog Food education on digestive process


I am going to buy some pH strips and will make a brine out of the cooked ground turkey meat, green beans and kibble mix that we feed our Vizslas.  This will tell me the pH of the mix.

From that, I can determine if the diet will keep their digestive tract in the acidic range they need to stay healthy.

Chloe and Bailey have not had intestinal issues, but there are plenty  of Vizslas out there that do.

Diet pH level could have something to do with it.   Keep it acidic.

4 comments:

Rod Michaelson said...

Another viewpoint on stomach acid:

>During meals, gastric pH is about 1 to 1.5. Unlike in humans, the secretion of gastric acid is intermittent in cats and dogs, and during fasting acid secretion is low- between meals,gastric pH can rise as high as 3 to 6.5.

{Gastric acid is a digestive fluid, formed in the stomach. It has a pH of 1 to 2 )
One would require measurements of gastric transit times compareing " Raw " vs " not Raw diets"
Methinks the graph only documents that the Raw food takes longer to digest and pass thru the stomach.

George

Wireless Dog Fencing said...

Good day to you my friend. I needed to give you a quick note to express my thanks. I've been studying your blog for a month or so and have picked up quite a lot of good info as well as enjoyed the way in which you've setup your blog. I am attempting to setup my own blog but I feel it is too general. I want to focus more on specific topics. Being all things to all folks isn't all that it’s cracked up to be. Many thanks.

Rod Michaelson said...

Colin,
Glad you enjoy the format and content. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. You may use any post you'd like.
RBD

Colin Seal said...

Thanks regarding the post. It's good to listen to one other individual's opinion. I certainly agree with exactly what you are saying regarding the data. Please keep up the nice work as I'm definitely going again to read more.

Kind Regards,

Colin Seal
discover more here