Saturday, September 4, 2010

Learning to ride a horse correctly


Three two-hour sessions by a professional horse trainer has been worth the effort and money. 


How to communicate with a horse, saddle one correctly, and how to ride the way a horse wants to be ridden was some of the things learned over the six hours taught by D.J.


Gordon and Linda were very supportive by allowing the training to be done on their great property with Patch, their five-year old Tennessee Walker. 


I am now a rookie horseman to go along with my being a rookie field trial "gun dog" handler.

These lessons are an important part of the our "team" (Bailey and I) training.  Bailey learns to find birds and I learn to ride the horse to get to Bailey "on point" when it is time to work the bird.

Today, Bailey ran his first Open Gun Dog stake of his career.  This took place at the German Shorthair Club of Oregon horseback field trial up in Tygh Valley, Oregon.  He is being handled by Randy Berry.

   Don't know how he did yet.  I'll post when I find out.

No comments: